Streamline specialty medication prescribing to help improve outcomes, adherence and satisfaction
If you’ve ever written a specialty medication written prescription, you’re likely familiar with the often-lengthy process you and your staff must complete before your patient can finally begin their therapy. Your patient’s prescription must pass through a broad and fragmented cross-section of healthcare industry stakeholders, from biopharma companies and payers, to specialty pharmacies and specialty medication hubs.
Increase efficiency for clinicians and their staff
Physician practices are busier than ever before. In a recent survey, 80% of physicians reported being at full capacity or overextended. This same survey found that an average of 23% of physician time is spent on non-clinical paperwork.1 This amount of paperwork not only affects clinical staff, but it also impacts administrative personnel, who handle countless essential tasks every day.
Decreasing wait times speeds up time to therapy
Not only can streamlining the specialty medication fulfillment process increase efficiency among provider practices, but it can also decrease patients’ wait times, enabling them to begin their therapies more quickly.
While there is no standard definition for what a specialty medication is, these types of medications often share certain characteristics including:
- High cost (typically >$600/month, and often much more)
- Indications to treat rare or complex chronic conditions
- Requirements for special handling and close monitoring
- Unique administration (injection or infusion)
- Special assessment of adverse effects, or assessment of response
- May have limited availability or distribution
- Almost exclusively dispensed through specialty pharmacies
- May need to comply with a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) program2, 3
Reducing time-to-therapy for these already complex medications can contribute to increased medication adherence and, therefore, better patient health outcomes.
Veradigm AccelRx™ is the solution that can streamline this process
Fulfilling specialty medications is often one of the most time-consuming tasks. Veradigm AccelRx helps free up time for clinicians and their staff to do what matters most: provide the highest quality care for their patients.
Veradigm, an Allscripts business, has developed Veradigm AccelRx™, a unique software platform that helps providers spend less time on phone calls and faxes while driving higher medication adherence, better health outcomes and satisfaction for their patients. At its core, the solution helps patients get their specialty medications faster and easier. It also simplifies the specialty medication fulfillment process by providing a flexible platform that is interoperable with any payer, specialty pharmacy or specialty medication hub.
Getting started with Veradigm AccelRx
Veradigm AccelRx is available at no additional cost for Allscripts TouchWorks® EHR and Allscripts Professional EHR™ clients. To learn more about how you can get started, register for our webinar on June 29, 2021 at 1 p.m. ET.
- Hawkins M. 2018 Survey of America’s Physicians Practice Patterns & Perspectives. 2018. September 2018. https://physiciansfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/physicians-survey-results-final-2018.pdf.
- FAQs About Specialty Meds Volume March 2016, PL Detail-Document #320310 Pharmacist’s Letter
- Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/risk-evaluation-and-mitigation-strategies-rems. Published 2021.
Add a Comment