A more proactive way to match patients to clinical trials
As a patient, if I was diagnosed with a condition that was difficult to treat, I would want my doctor to be able to give me a chance to review all available options. A doctor who could proactively match me to a relevant clinical trial could make all the difference.
That’s why I love the partnership we have with ePatientFinder and the vision this solution has for connecting patients with a new drug or therapy that could potentially be life-changing. Our October App of the Month enables providers to tap into patient data and identify chronic disease patients that may be a match for local clinical trials.
ePatientFinder makes it possible for patients to hear about clinical trials from their physician, not advertisements. According to a recent 2013 national public opinion poll, 72% of Americans say they are more likely to participate in a clinical trial if recommended by their physician.
Here’s how it works. ePatientfinder:
- Looks for medically relevant clinical trials where the current treatments are non-existent or lacking and brings these trials onto its platform.
- Reviews and matches patients to these trials, letting physicians review recommendations.
- Surveys patients to gather information that may not be included within a regular visit note.
- Schedules patients for a short 10-minute consult about the clinical trial. (This visit is reimbursed by ePatientFinder regardless of what the physician and patient decide together about the trial).
The advantages of finding good matches
ePatientFinder offers a patient-centered model for finding the right clinical trials for patients, which can lead to more successful matches. In a recent white paper, the company found that patients matched through ePatientFinder were more likely to:
- Be accepted into trials – Thorough pre-screening helps improve the acceptance rate. In a recent chronic conditions trial, for example, 78% of patients referred by ePatientFinder were accepted for study participation, compared to 3% of patients referred by traditional, direct-to-patient recruitment methods.
- Remain in the trial – Patients are more likely to remain in a trial for the duration and to be adherent with the study protocols. Traditionally, about one-third of patients drop out of studies before completion. With the ePatientFinder model, patients continue to see their referring physician for routine medical care, which adds another layer of accountability and engagement.
Want to learn more about ePatientFinder? Join a webinar on October 25 to learn about this innovative, no-cost solution.