Join the fight. Change the way we treat heart disease.
Allscripts is taking a leading role in the delivery of best practices care of patients with cardiovascular disease through sponsorship of the Allscripts Million Hearts Initiative Clinical Decision Support (CDS) Challenge.
Million Hearts is a national initiative announced last year by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes over the next five years. The Allscripts Challenge was announced at the CMS Care Innovations Summit held in Washington D.C. on January 26th.
Challenge details are outlined below. Participation in the Allscripts Million Hearts CDS Challenge, including the use of Allscripts XML format, are subject to the terms and conditions available here.
The Allscripts Million Hearts Initiative CDS Challenge offers a $50,000 prize to the person or group that creates a publicly available resource that accelerates the delivery of optimal care for the millions of patients in the United States with cardiovascular disease through clinical decision support functionality. Our goal is to accomplish this by facilitating the translation of the CDS rules associated with the Million Hearts Initiative into an unambiguous, machine-readable format that can be "read" by any Electronic Health Record (EHR). Allscripts will provide materials, including an XML format that participants may use in the development of the solution if desired.
The winning solution will be selected from qualified applicants by a panel of judges in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Challenge which will be made available at the official start of the Challenge. At a minimum, the winning solution will include a publicly accessible web site or service providing the following four features:
- Unambiguous prose expressions of clinical guidelines that support each of the core components of the Million Hearts initiative: ABCS: Aspirin for people at risk, Blood pressure control, Cholesterol management and Smoking cessation.
- Available download of unambiguous prose expressions of EHR-based CDS interventions aligned with the clinical guidelines described in (1) above.
- Available download of logical, computable (XML) expressions of EHR-based CDS interventions aligned with the clinical guidelines described in (1) above.
- Available download of comprehensive value sets that provide coded values for each of the data elements referenced in the XML-based interventions described above.
The goal of the challenge is to make important elements of the winning solution available to the community and other EHR developers under an open source license to help support the goals of the Million Hearts initiative. Making the solution available under an open source license will encourage widespread adoption of a standardized Million Hearts Initiative CDS protocol which can be maintained and extended by the Sponsor and other industry participants.
Judging and Evaluation
Judges will be named in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Challenge and will include representatives from Allscripts and other public or private healthcare organizations.
All participants in the Million Hearts Clinical Decision Support Challenge agree to compliance within the Contest Rules.
Timing and Deadline Information
- Competition begins: March 26, 2012
- Competition closes: July 13, 2012
If you are interested in participating in the Million Hearts CDS Challenge, please Click Here to indicate your intent to participate and download several documents that may be useful in your work, including the XML schema being contributed by Allscripts to this effort.